Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Long Way to Go

By Kelsey Thomas

We have done so much on our trip thus far. When I think back about what we have managed to squeeze in over a few short weeks I'm impressed. Now the time has come to focus more on our projects. Mine has been an interesting journey. 

I actually got motivated to write today because of a movie. As I sat watching “Rent” I began to think long and hard about my story. About the individuals affected. 

I am working on understanding the acceptance (or non-acceptance perhaps) of homosexuality in Beirut. It many ways it reminds me of home. The men I have talked to are nervous. They wish to remain anonymous, which I understand completely. They are struggling from the same things people in the gay community at home are. They fear acceptance from their families and the communities. They fear for job security. They fear they will not find love. But, in Lebanon, some things are very different.

There is still a law intact that outlaws homosexuality. Actually, Article 534 outlaws any sexual act that is “unnatural”. I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

I think it is absurd there is so much noise over gay civil marriage in the U.S. Who would have thought in 2010 it can still be illegal? The law may not so much be enforced today, but it is still present. In fact there is speculation that just recently a producer was killed for being gay. 

This does not mean that progress has not been made. There is a gay nightclub, and some other gay locales that people can feel comfortable. However, the fear is omnipresent. On October 15-18th this year the IGTLA will be bringing a group to Beirut. 

For me all of these facts and figures fall to the wayside. It is the individual person that has to deal everyday. It is the young man from a conservative religious family that fears for his acceptance. It is the young man who just came out that feels like he is in limbo. That when he starts to feel comfortable with himself he is shot back into reality. The reality that the freedom to be open and honest may never come. His fear that if he goes into a certain neighborhood he may be arrested, beaten, or killed. 

I admire the great courage of the people that have talked with me. I cannot imagine being outlawed. A huge part of who I am being illegal. I cannot imagine having to walk in the shoes of someone who feels like they are never walking in their own. Someone who feels like they are constantly acting. I also admire those men and women that have come out and are proud. There has been gay pride parades. I admire the club and restaurant owners who allow people to express themselves freely. 

I have hope that Beirut can be a wheel to help put in to motion the rest of the Arab world. What I did not understand before I came here is the way this part of the world functions. People here are just practicing their religion, and sometimes the way they interpret their religion prevents forward movement. Sometimes religion is used as a guise over personal beliefs or gains. The religious parties here are conservative in many ways, but change is not impossible. 

Everyday I am meeting new people and learning more about the gay community. It may be 50 years before two men can walk down the street together as a couple. Maybe longer. But when they can I hope I get to come back and see the people I have interviewed hand-in-hand.

We came here to learn about the people. To see the good, the bad, and the ugly. (I know cliché) And we have. I think the good has outweighed the bad, and the people of Lebanon have good hearts. Anywhere on earth people are still just people, and eventually we will have to learn to accept all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment