Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Changing Perspectives

By Katie Perkowski

 

            A couple days ago we visited and took a tour of the AUB farm. I’ve decided to do my project on agriculture and how interest in becoming a farmer is declining in Lebanon. The manager of the farm, Nicolas, talked to us about farming and then gave us the tour. No more than 40 students live there at a time, and they spend up to two semesters there studying, depending on what major in the agriculture department they are.

            The farm was peaceful and beautiful mountains surrounded it. Compared to the humid, thick atmosphere in the busy city of Beirut, the air around us was breezy and relieving. We visited cows, goats and sheep, and even got to hold a baby sheep and baby goat. We walked through the creamery where employees and students work to make milk, cheese and yogurt. After the tour we got to eat lunch in the cafeteria and ate some of the freshest and juiciest fruits (I think they may have been plums, but I’m not entirely sure) I’ve ever sunk my teeth into. But the one thing that stood out to me the most about our visit to the farm was my interview with an agriculture student.

            I talked to a girl about the same age as me, and I asked her a few introductory questions. Then I asked if she would stay in Lebanon to work after graduation or find a job abroad. “Of course I’ll stay in Lebanon, it is my country,” she said. The whole time we’ve been here, we’ve noticed how divided the country is and how there is a lacking sense of nationalism. A lot of the time, people find identities in their social or religious group. But here I was talking to a girl who it seemed considered working outside of Lebanon abandoning her country. 

            When she asked what I thought of Lebanon, I told her I have enjoyed my time here very much and that it is a beautiful place and I wished I could spend more time in it. She cocked her head to the side, looking so surprised and so pleased with my answer, especially since she knew where I am from. While it made my happy that I could show her how much I’ve enjoyed her country, it made me sad that she was so surprised someone from the U.S. would say that. I hope to help get rid of some of the negative stigmas against areas of the Middle East when I get home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment