Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Culture Awe

By Kelsey Thomas


I was asked today if I had any culture shock in my first two weeks in Lebanon. That can be difficult to answer. There are things I love and things that drive me crazy. I am sure this is the case everywhere. But in Lebanon the things I love, I really LOVE. The things I dislike I really DISLIKE.

I love the history. Though it may seem bloody and destructive, it is also rich. We have been to Balbeck and Byblos to see roman ruins. Imagine being among artifacts thousands of years old. I cannot even fathom it. We also went to Damascus, Syria. Damascus is one of the oldest populated cities in the world! I decided I like Beirut better. Here the people are happy, but it didn't feel that way in Damascus.

I love the food. Every new delicacy we try is delicious. One day we had raw meet and baby birds and both very delicious. The food here tastes so fresh and light. It feels more natural than food at home- less preservatives and chemicals. As we travel and eat I can see the importance of food to the people. A meal here is a show. You start with a mezza, or a bunch of small plates of several different foods. Usually there are olives and little bowls of tasty dips like baba ghanouj, hommos and fattoush. Then the main course is a fish or meat dish. It is about a good meal and spending time with people. The rush to eat and go is not on the mind. People will sit and eat here for hours, chatting and passing the time. It's nice to see people enjoying each other's company instead of walking head down to the closest McDonalds -- and some shisha after dinner to relax isn't too bad either.

I like and dislike the people. It is the same as everywhere else. Most of the people are so friendly and welcoming. Sometimes I get a little annoyed because I don't feel like talking to people anymore and someone new will come up to chat. It is nice to be welcomed but sometimes you just want to shop at H&M. Haha! But, at least they don't act annoyed with us like they did in Italy last summer. I do dislike some of the people. They can be very snobby. The women tend to think they are the most beautiful and wonderful and should be treated that way. They either say hello and are friendly or walk right past us, their noses in the air. But hey, there are snobs everywhere – we all went to high school. The guys have apparently learned some phrases in English because we hear the same things over and over again. Who doesn't like a compliment now and then?

I DISLIKE the way things are run. It took us two weeks to get the Internet. We went from person to person waiting for help. Every office just sends you to a different office. Efficiency is just not present. I feel like the whole system works as individuals rather than as a team. No one can answer more than one question. It can be incredibly frustrating when you're hot, carrying a bag of laundry and just walked up a hill comparable to Everest. Terry Anderson did say, “Nothing is easy in Lebanon.” I think he's right.

Also, that whole concept of a line. Non-existent. I've learned to just push my way to the front.

Finally, I LOVE the social scene. I have never been to a place with such a exciting night life. The people are fun and I am trying to learn Arabic dance.

As our trip unfolds, more and more comes out. Like I said before, “Lebanon is like an onion.” We peel another layer every day. If we wrote everything we would spend more time typing than learning. I write about what I would want to know. It may not be deep or philosophical but I do think it will help people learn and relate to the country better.

No comments:

Post a Comment